Tuesday 3 August 2010

Stealing from Apocalypse D&D

Apocalypse D&D, by Tony Dowler, is awesome. While I'm not planning on using it myself, there are certain aspects that I full intend to use in my own D&D campaign. Below, mostly for my own use, are two Moves, almost direct quotes from Apocalypse D&D, with a little jiggery-pokery to make it use a MicroLite20 stats and system.

Spout Lore (Knowledge)
Spouting lore means taking some time to examine or observe the thing and demonstrate your great intelligence. To spout lore regarding a device or magical artifact requires that you handle the thing experimentally, like tasting a potion, or pointing a wand.

Roll (1d20+knowledge+Mind)
1-14: you have no clue.
15-19: ask one question.
20+: ask three questions.

Questions about anything:
  • Is it dangerous to me?
  • What’s its name and history?
Questions about a thing:
  • Who is its previous or current owner?
  • How does it work?
  • What does it do?
  • What’s it worth?
  • Is it magical?
Questions about a monster:
  • What type of monster is it?
  • How could I prevent it from attacking me?
  • How effective is (particular plan or method of attack) likely to be?

Hold a Parlay
(Communication)
To Hold a Parley you need to be in a position to spend some time talking and making your wishes known. Do this when you have an opportunity to interact with potentially hostile parties, monsters, or individuals.

Roll (1d20+communication+Mind)
1-14: you don't get much out of it
15-19: Hold 1, spend to ask.
20+: Hold 3, spend to ask.
  • What’s your real name and identity?
  • Is your character telling the truth?
  • What’s your character really thinking?
  • What does your character intend to do?
  • What does your character wish to do?
  • How could I get your character to do __________?

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty awesome. I can totally see taking bits and pieces from Apocalypse D&D and using them on their own in D&D.

    ReplyDelete